Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Vegetables, Too!

We're branching out this year. Last year was our first attempt at a vegetable garden and we had great success with a few tomato plants, cucumbers, zucchini and peppers. Already we've filled 2 beds with new-to-us varieties. We'll be expanding to 6 raised beds this year.


Mixed varieties of lettuce



Broccoli and Cabbage



Swiss Chard and Multi-colored Cauliflower


My flat-leafed parsley survived the winter and it's bushier than ever. Here's hoping the green fence will stave off the deer. They love our backyard.

2 comments:

Lisa Blair said...

Surely the fence will work against the deer. How tall is it?

You know, I planted swiss chard too, but I don't think I've ever actually eaten the stuff before. I saw it in the grocery store today, and I picked some up. I hope I like it because I planted a shitload of it.

Mara said...

Hopefully you *do* like swiss chard - if you like cooked greens, I'd imagine you would. They cook down to next-to-nothing, so a shitload might not be overwhelming to deal with.