Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Garden 2.0

June has not been especially kind to the garden. After our leisurely spring, we slammed headfirst into 100+ degree days with no rain. Some of the Garden 1.0 items (lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, and soon the broccoli) have retired to that great compost bin in the sky. I've been planting lots of green beans and volunteer tomatoes to take their place. Here are the latest pics.


Cabbage harvest!


Zucchini/Squash bed. I'm going to call hubris on my former zucchini/squash posts. For whatever reason, these plants have not been very prolific. Not sure if it's due to lack of pollination, change in location, too hot too quick, or what. Lots of them have been dying on the vine. Disappointing! I played bumblebee over the weekend a pollinated some myself. It seemed to help a bit. Unfortunately, I know we're in a race against time before the squash borer bugs claim these plants for good.


Sungold Tomato - this guy is doing fine. It's over 6 feet tall, and we had our first taste the other day.


Knock on pile of wood, our Carmen pepper plants are thriving. We had lots of problems with our peppers last year due to Japanese beetles and deer. The deterrents seem to be working so far this year!



The cucumbers love the trellis. I heartily recommend growing cucumbers this way.


Won't be long before we'll have some Celebrities.


And I think I can safely say we'll be up to our ears in Juliets. We bought two plants, and have transplanted at least 3 volunteer Juliets from last year. Fine by me - they're great! Hopefully this year I can try making sundrieds out of them.


Stokes Aster. My flowers haven't been thriving like I hoped they would. Again, I'm blaming the intense heat. Luckily we have a long growing season ahead of us.

No comments: