Sunday, August 24, 2008

Adios, Perros

Just saying so might invite a deathly September to my door, but I think the dog days of the NC summer are behind us. Temps have been cooling down into the 60s at night, and highs in the 90s are rarer and rarer. All this translates into a happy Mara - a Mara who suddenly becomes motivated to get back in the garden and get rid of those weeds that flourished in July.

The cucumbers were great while they lasted, and we'll definitely make their trellis a permanent fixture. They succumbed to the high heat - which spells yellowy ultra-bitter cukes - and I ripped them out. Since we have ample growing season yet, I started some new seeds. Good thing, too, because we're on our last jar of this summer's pickles. The best yet!


New cukes, and a second chance at yellow squash

The tomatoes have been a capital-D Disappointment this year. Last year I made tons of sauce, and they kept really well indoors. This year, we're lucky to get one or two ripe ones that haven't split on the vine (I'm lookin' at you, Cherokee Purples!). Then, once we bring them in, they seem to rot overnight. Luckily, the Sun Gold and the volunteer Juliets have ensured our summer isn't salsa-free.

We also planted a second crop of yellow squash and zucchini. Crossing my fingers!


Carmen Peppers! Carmen Peppers! I'll say it again - Carmen Peppers!
Try these bad boys out next summer.





Updates from Flower Land
The moral is: Don't be afraid of and/or Don't forget to fertilize.


Figaro Mix Dahlias
I'm proud of how these rebounded considering deer ate them into oblivion earlier this summer.




I replaced all but the moss roses in this bed with some $0.50 annuals (vinca and dianthus) from Durham Garden Center. And I started fertilizing it. Duh, MT! It's much happier now.



Dianthus have replaced the abysmal blue petunias that I got for this bed. The original vinca and moss roses are now healthy, green and blooming - as opposed to stressed out and yellow.



I love moss roses. Do I ever.




2 Pink Wave replacements - again, $0.50 each - have added lots of life to a formerly dying pot. What the hell was up with those blue petunias I bought? Spindly and didn't respond at all to being pinched back. I'm sure my lack of fertilizing didn't help.


A Friend Visits The Rosemary

Hello, Mr/Ms Praying Mantis!
Is summer over yet?

No comments: