Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Crazy Sewing Fool

The hot weather has given me a good opportunity to organize my sewing space and my fabric. I came across this pattern that we had intended to stretch across a frame as a piece of wall art. I ended up not being wild about that idea, but instead decided to make a curtain out of it. It's in our computer room, which is just a big hodge podge of books and National Geographic posters (i.e. absolutely no design aesthetic/defined style). I love it!



In my organizing frenzy, I came across some old pairs of Rob's work jeans that badly needed patching. I have to say that I'm rather proud with the end result. The first project that got me back into sewing last year was attempting to patch these by hand. Conceptually, this job came so much easier to me now. It just made more sense - and that made me feel good.

I'll keep the soapbox-ing short, but I really encourage you all to take a moment to consider the stuff you throw away that could easily be repaired or transformed into something else. Patching pants is NOT rocket science. I'm not saying you need to make haute couture out of it, but maybe a few simple touches will give it another year of life and save you from buying something you don't need. Or send it to me! Free Time is my middle name these days!

No comments: